Tuesday, September 4, 2012

It’s time to clear the air.


Gentle Reader,

Most of you know, but a few may not.  Let's get clear. Asian Elephant Stories is my independent effort.  The purpose of this blog has never changed from that which is stated on the header:  “A small effort to help these magnificent creatures regain their dignity”.  What I write here is not filtered or edited by anyone other than me.  I try to choose my words carefully, but not so carefully that the message is lost in political correctness.   I capitalize the entire phrase Asian Elephant to show respect; my late aunt Iza who was the Dean of English at Iowa State University would approve. Responsibility for errors, omissions and faux pas lay entirely with me. 

A baby at ElefantAsia,  Sayaboury Province,Laos

This blog started this in August of 2010 with an article about street begging elephants. The street beggers have been gone from Chiang Mai for some time.  However,I recently heard that they have again been spotted in Chiang Mai province.  Sadly, there may be more on this subject in the near future.

Working the Street in Surin
I have to opportunity to do volunteer work, write for other publications and enjoy fairly easy access to captive elephants in Northern Thailand.  I say “fairly” because accessibility seems to be based on the elephant owner’s attitude toward candid journalism.  Although she is incredibly busy and often has to shuffle her attention between various media groups, Sangduen “Lek” Chialert always makes the media welcome.  Naturally, much has been written about Save Elephant Foundation and Elephant Nature Park (ENP).  I’ve written so much that some people think this blog is an extension of ENP. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!   Yes I’m a fan. No I do not offer my blog as a marketing tool. This blog and Jerry Nelson’s Journal are independent expressions.
Faa Mai follows, Lek leads
During a recent rather dark time in this wonderful countries history, I used this blog to re-transmit several articles written by others.  I make no apologies, but at the same time can take no credit for any actual contributions.  It’s time to get back to writing and in the future perhaps post more articles from other sources such as the tribute to Anthony Lawrence.

My next article might be “The Elephant Ambassador Program”.  I'm doing some research to ensure accuracy so don't expect anything for the next several days. I'm also beginning to gather more information on elephant street begging, the reported sightings keep coming in.  I truly wish there was nothing to report, but that just isn't reality.  Today's activity over on Jerry Nelson's Journal. is the posting of an article on the Symposium on Local Wisdom and Improving Quality of Life.  Check it out.

Abundant Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment